Making of neon-simple fantasy tile characters

I worked with Tobias on a “anti-coop” game design which he started implementing in flash. I did graphics.

First I wanted to just start and opened Inkscape. Then I felt emptiness. “Wizzard”, “Paladin” and “Monster” were the terms.

I learned thanks to FZD School of Design’s video tutorials the importance of inspiration so I turned on alchemy, googled some images (here’s one), turned on some chiptunes and started moving the stylus.

braindraw1

braindraw2

In retrospect, I’m pretty sure that I started looking for inspiration after drawing the one above.

braindraw3

braindraw4

Now. Inkscape.

vector gfx

The result is here on OpenGameArt.

I had trouble with

  1. Inkscape background bug
  2. Exporting parts of an image in Inkscape

Regarding 2.: I put rectangles around the area to be exported, selected them for export and then cropped the result in GIMP because it seemed more efficient than writing an imagemagick script for the handful of images.

I shall try this or that (both recommendations from #inkscape).

About these ads
This entry was posted in qubodup and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s